Join the Team/Job Postings
Software Engineer (for web development)
Responsibilities: Sony Pictures Imageworks is looking for a senior software engineer to join our Culver City development team. The position requires strong software development skills, expertise in one or more programming languages, and the ability to design high quality, robust, and easy to maintain code and tools. The engineer is primarily responsible for development and implementation of pre-production tools under the guidance of the technology supervisor. This position requires collaboration with other engineering staff, project managers, and artists to implement tools for the pre-production crew of Sony Pictures Animation.
- Advanced Python development
- Knowledge of web client development using modern frameworks such as Angular 2
- Ability to design simple tools to solve various workflow problems
- Proven ability to deliver high quality software in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
Nice to have:
- Any scripting experience that relates to Maya, Photoshop, Shotgun or equivalent
- Cross platform development including OSX, Linux and Windows
- Knowledge of other languages like C++ and Java
- CG or VFX industry experience
5-7 years of experience in software development
Who we are:
The Dev Group acts as authors, collaborators and gatekeepers of the Imageworks and Sony Pictures Animation pipeline and software. We work with productions to develop tools and technology that make our images great. Our engineering expertise spans the entire artist workflow, as well as the tools Imageworks uses to manage its assets and track it’s productions. We have a variety of technical challenges and are looking for individuals from varying backgrounds and expertise to provide diverse voices for creative engineering solutions. The pre-production team focuses on creating tools and technology for the pre-production team and works closely with directors, story, vizdev, editorial and previz artists.
If you are interested in things like:
- Finding new ways to improve organization and communication across multiple departments.
- Using and learning APIs across multiple applications to automate various time consuming processes.
- Managing huge environments made up of thousands of assets, and determining how best to interact with them in a software package like Photoshop, and Maya modifying the assets simultaneously across multiple departments.
- Working closely with software vendors such as The Foundry, Autodesk, and Adobe in creating and improving artist's tools.
To apply, please send your CV/resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the job title in the email subject line.
- Growth Opportunities for advancement
- PRODUCTION SERVICES TECHNICIAN
- Nuke Compositor
- Software Engineer - Texture and Matte Painting
- Senior Systems Engineer (UNIX)
- Intermediate Systems Engineer (UNIX)
- Digital Trainer
- DATA INFASTRUCTURE SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- RENDER EFFICIENCY ENGINEER - ARNOLD TEAM
- RENDERING ENGINEER - ARNOLD
- SENIOR VFX COORDINATOR
- CHARACTER ANIMATION PIPELINE ENGINEER
- Production Tracking Developer
- SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- CHARACTER TD - PIPELINE
- CHARACTER TD - SETUP/RIGGER
- TECHNICAL DIRECTOR - Hair/Fur/Cloth/Feather Simulation
- TECHNICAL DIRECTOR - FX
Qualified candidates should send their materials to:
Sony Pictures Imageworks
Attention: Human Resources
9050 W. Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232
Fax: (310) 840-8888
All artist submissions MUST contain the following:
- Cover Letter which states the position you are applying for and your availability
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio (if applicable to the position)
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio Breakdown which describes your specific contributions to the work
**Please be sure NOT to send original materials, as submissions will not be returned.**
Submission Tips & Guidelines
- Reels should be on DVD or VHS (NTSC) - Beta or PAL will not be accepted
- Do not send CD ROMS or refer us to a website - hardcopy submissions only
- Reels should be clearly labeled with your name and contact information
- The length of your reel should be limited to 5 minutes and consist of the work you're most proud of beginning with your most recent work
- Music should not contain vocals unless lip-syncing skills are illustrated
- Please include a credit list explaining what you did on your reel and what software (if applicable) was used to achieve the effects
- Demo reels should be well edited and concise (less than 5 minutes).
- ANIMATORS NOTE: Please include all traditional work (life drawings, pencil tests, etc.) either on your reel or with your portfolio
Please be sure your portfolio is clearly labeled with your name, address and telephone number on both the inside and outside.
All portfolios should contain the following:
- Samples of your recent work
- Life Drawings
- Rough Sketches of animals and humans in movement
- Samples of your color and design sense
- We prefer artists to limit their portfolios to 20 pieces representing their strongest current work.
- Do not send original copies of your work as it will not be returned