Join the Team/Job Postings
RENDER EFFICIENCY ENGINEER - ARNOLD TEAM
Sony Pictures Imageworks is expanding! We are experiencing rapid growth in our Vancouver office as we move into our brand new state of the art facility. At Imageworks we create groundbreaking visual effects and animation for motion pictures. We are looking for a dynamic and energetic Infrastructure Software Engineer to join the team at Imageworks Canada.
Sony Pictures Imageworks is looking for a render support engineer to join our Vancouver, Canada development team. The Render Efficiency TD is the bridge between the render development team and production. As a Render Efficiency TD your role will be to seek out and optimize renders, liaising with production to develop strategy and best practices. You’d be called upon to assist artists with triage and optimization on a day-to-day basis to create the fastest, highest quality imagery possible. In addition, your role will include the creation and maintenance of software tools to help artists debug and manage the resource requirements of their renders. This position enables close collaboration with rendering, shading, and Katana team members. You’ll also interface with project managers and production artists to develop and implement innovative studio capabilities.
- 3-5 years of experience working in a support role with artists
- Experience with python and css
- Experience with linux, raytracing
- Experience with databases, Katana, Arnold, Alembic, and/or LUA helpful
- Understanding of large-scale digital production for Animation and Visual Effects.
- Comfortable interacting with both development engineers and artists directly
Who we are: The Dev Group acts as authors, collaborators and gatekeepers of the Imageworks pipeline and software. We work with productions to develop tools and technology that make our images great. Our engineering expertise spans the entire artist workflow, as well as the tools Imageworks uses to manage its assets and track it’s productions. We have a variety of technical challenges and are looking for individuals from varying backgrounds and expertise to provide diverse voices for creative engineering solutions.
If you are interested in things like:
- Core technology growth in our Katana lighting tool, working closely with The Foundry’s Katana engineers.
- Managing huge environments made up of thousands of assets
- Developing new tools / workflows within Katana to address artists’ show-specific needs.
- Reducing the time to first pixel as well as finding efficiencies through more streamlined toolsets.
If interested please submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Growth Opportunities for advancement
- PRODUCTION SERVICES TECHNICIAN
- Color Scientist
- Experienced Animator
- Pipeline TD
- Experienced Pipeline TD
- Texture Artist
- Experienced Texture Artist
- FX Artist
- Experienced FX Artist
- Experienced Lighter
- Experienced Modeler
- Character FX TD
- Experienced Character FX TD
- Experienced Compositor
- Matte Painter
- Experienced Matte Painter
- Layout Artist
- Experienced Layout Artist
- Experienced Rigger
- Software Engineer (for Web development)
- Software Engineer (for Desktop Apps)
- Senior Systems Engineer (UNIX)
- Intermediate Systems Engineer (UNIX)
- DATA INFASTRUCTURE SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- RENDER EFFICIENCY ENGINEER - ARNOLD TEAM
- RENDERING ENGINEER - ARNOLD
- SENIOR VFX COORDINATOR
- CHARACTER ANIMATION PIPELINE ENGINEER
- Production Tracking Developer
- SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- SHADER WRITER
Qualified candidates should send their materials to:
Sony Pictures Imageworks
Attention: Human Resources
9050 W. Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232
Fax: (310) 840-8888
All artist submissions MUST contain the following:
- Cover Letter which states the position you are applying for and your availability
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio (if applicable to the position)
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio Breakdown which describes your specific contributions to the work
**Please be sure NOT to send original materials, as submissions will not be returned.**
Submission Tips & Guidelines
- Reels should be on DVD or VHS (NTSC) - Beta or PAL will not be accepted
- Do not send CD ROMS or refer us to a website - hardcopy submissions only
- Reels should be clearly labeled with your name and contact information
- The length of your reel should be limited to 5 minutes and consist of the work you're most proud of beginning with your most recent work
- Music should not contain vocals unless lip-syncing skills are illustrated
- Please include a credit list explaining what you did on your reel and what software (if applicable) was used to achieve the effects
- Demo reels should be well edited and concise (less than 5 minutes).
- ANIMATORS NOTE: Please include all traditional work (life drawings, pencil tests, etc.) either on your reel or with your portfolio
Please be sure your portfolio is clearly labeled with your name, address and telephone number on both the inside and outside.
All portfolios should contain the following:
- Samples of your recent work
- Life Drawings
- Rough Sketches of animals and humans in movement
- Samples of your color and design sense
- We prefer artists to limit their portfolios to 20 pieces representing their strongest current work.
- Do not send original copies of your work as it will not be returned